Adult attention hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)/Adult deficit disorder (ADD)
ADHD Assessment and Treatment Principles
- A thorough 2.5 hr assessment process with Dr Nathan Anthony and an experienced clinical psychologist
- Full psychiatric assessment and neuropsychological testing
- Specialised weekly adult ADHD treatment clinic with review with consultant psychiatrist and psychologist
I hold a weekly adult ADHD treatment clinic in central London. Along with my psychologist colleagues we have extensive experience in the diagnosis and treatment with adults with all the variants of ADHD (hyperactive, inattentive or combination of both).
When I assess clients in my clinic I am only too aware of the impact of ADHD in adults, in terms of problematic relationships, occupational and financial problems together with other forms of mental illness such as substance misuse which often coexist.
Why is an Accurate Diagnosis Important?
- Over 83% of clients with ADHD respond to either medication, psychological work or a combination of both and successful treatment can be life changing
- Inappropriate diagnosis of adult ADHD can be problematic if someone's interpersonal difficulties are best addressed by other treatment. Some forms of medication to treat ADHD can have undesirable side effects in some people.
Common Signs and Symptoms of Adult ADHD
- Emotional liability: tendency to become very irritable or to get angry warily
- Disorganisation such as being overly forgetful
- Hyperactive symptoms such as excess fidgeting, unable to sit still or the reduced need for sleep
- Impulsive tendencies such as over spending